Route 66
  • A Trip Down the Mother Road of Ottawa County

Overview
Route 66 was commissioned on November 11, 1926 and was originally 2,448 miles from Chicago to Los Angeles. The longest recorded length was 2,499 miles in 1929.

On June 17, 1935, it was extended from downtown Los Angeles to its famous termination point with Alt. U.S. 101, overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica. On the same date, 66 was re-routed over the Chain of Rocks Bridge in north St. Louis. On September 26, 1937, it was re-routed directly west from Santa Rosa to Albuquerque, New Mexico, bypassing Santa Fe.

Special Thanks
Scott Kreeger | Larry Roberts | Mark Rogers | Waylan's Ku-Ku Burgers | Charlene Lingo | Nellie Dobson Trust
Orrick Sparlin Collection | Ottawa County Historical Society, Inc
Sponsors
Orrick Sparlin Collection | Ottawa County Historical Society, Inc | Nellie Dobson Trust

Other Exhibits

Spanish Gold

B.F. Goodrich